Monday, March 16, 2009

A Great Day For The Irish

I’m a big fan of the St. Patrick’s Festival, I love that we take a whole weekend to celebrate our Irishness, it’s something that doesn’t happen in too many other countries, Scotland doesn’t have parades and funfairs on St. Andrew’s Day and there’s are probably millions of English people who couldn’t even tell you when St. George’s Day is!

I always loved going into the parade when I was a kid, making sure I had my flag to wave and pinning a bunch of Shamrock to my coat. One thing has always puzzled me though; what’s the difference between Shamrock and Clover; is there any difference at all?
Apparently there is but there’s some debate as to what that difference is! Some people say that Shamrock is smaller than clover; others say Clover has more rounded leaves. Horticulturalists will tell you that Shamrock is much harder to grow than clover, which grows just about anywhere.

Can you tell the difference?

The first picture is of Shamrock






The second is Clover.






What do you reckon, are they one and the same? Leave me a comment and tell me what you think.

Still, I suppose we should be grateful that St. Patrick picked up a Shamrock leaf and not clover…. Otherwise Dublin would be full of Clover Rovers fans!!


Happy St Patrick’s Day

Liam

No comments:

Post a Comment